Chin-Chat!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

welcome back !! we missed ya!! ^_^

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inTwo questions Store

Two questions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
That_Ghost

That_Ghost

Female Posts : 14
ChinPoints : 4615
Chinchillas Owned : 2

Two questions Empty
PostSubject: Two questions   Two questions EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 2:21 pm

Okay, so I know I'm blowing up this board a bit, but I have so many questions! I want to be as knowledgeable as possible!

First question. I often see my chin seemingly biting at his own fur. I know fur biting is extremely bad, but I think I'm just being paranoid. He isn't missing clumps of fur and I never see him with his own fur in his mouth or any of it around his cage. I think he's just grooming or itching or something. Maybe he has dry skin? I try not to let him get too carried away with bathing. I let him get at his dust every two or three days. He's obsessed with keeping his fur nice and he gets so dirty so quickly, especially in the summer somehow. How can I figure out what the cause of his biting is? I don't have a great source of chinformation (see what I did there Wink ...I know I'm a nerd XD. Accepted.), so I'll be flooding you guys with questions!

Second question. I've mentioned this once already, but I'll say it again. I took my boy to meet with another chin yesterday. I wanted to see if they would be compatible. I'm looking for another boy to cage him with. Sadly, the other chin was too big, so my boy got defensive and the other got territorial, and there was some aggression. We separated them as soon as possible, but the other chin was much bigger and had the upper hand. My poor baby got his ear bitten or scratched. It's not bad, but i still worry. It bled the tiniest bit and then oozed what I think is plasma... like humans do. You know, when it's not bleeding, but leaking that clear liquid? I know, gross. Anyway, I put some antibiotic ointment and antibacterial stuff on it, but I wanted to know if there's anything else I should do. I'm a really overprotective parent. I just want to make sure I'm caring for him as best I can. He doesn't need stitches or anything. I don't even think he needs to go to the vet. It's small and shallow. I just want to know if I should cover it with something or treat him any special way.
Back to top Go down
allyson17white

allyson17white

Female Posts : 43
ChinPoints : 4670
Chinchillas Owned : 9

Two questions Empty
PostSubject: care   Two questions EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 2:27 pm

1. he is just cleaning him self if he had a cage mate they would do this to each other it is a good thing.

2. chinchilla are very self relent when it comes to injuries. You won't need to do more he will take care of it. !
Back to top Go down
http://www.chinchillaplanet.webs.com
xoxoimhis
Admin
xoxoimhis

Female Posts : 71
ChinPoints : 6707
Chinchillas Owned : 4

Two questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two questions   Two questions EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 7:27 pm

also just to add, usually [unless you get very lucky] any chin introduction can go down like that.
they usually recommend bonding over a period of weeks before a flat out introduction.

so if at first you don't succeed, don't lose hope!!
Back to top Go down
http://jessicahodges.scentsy.us
That_Ghost

That_Ghost

Female Posts : 14
ChinPoints : 4615
Chinchillas Owned : 2

Two questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two questions   Two questions EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks for the advice guys. His ear looks to be healing up nicely. The scab or scar (whatever it is) is bigger than his actually scrape, so that's weird, but it doesn't bother him at all. Yay!

As for his scuffle, I didn't own the actual chin. I just wanted to see if they would get along right off the bat. I'm still kinda thinking in terms of dogs I guess. I have good news though! A breeder recommended we put a baby with Chico, since adults will rarely be aggressive with a baby. She said she'd never seen one ever attack a baby. It worked and we are the proud new owners of baby Chewie! Chico loves him! ...but he won't stop humping him. I know it's a dominance thing, but it's just like jeez Chico. Keep it in your pants! I can't wait till their new bigger cage comes in the mail. They're gonna love it! The one they're in now is a little small, but they don't mind. They just cuddle up. Awwww. So cute! The baby has massive claws compared to Chico though. I got a couple scratches from him on the way home. We drove an hour each way to go get the little guy. Chico hates car rides, so he just stayed in his case the whole time, but the baby wanted to be held, so I did and got a few scratches for my trouble. Still, he's the cutest thing I've ever seen!
Back to top Go down
lin_n_chins

lin_n_chins

Female Posts : 62
ChinPoints : 4699
Chinchillas Owned : 3

Two questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two questions   Two questions EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 10:28 pm

lol Natalie, love the "chinformation" xD

and Jessica you coulda put "chintroduction" tongue hahahaha whoooo boy

havin too much fun.
Back to top Go down