welcome back !! we missed ya!! ^_^

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

chinchilla facts. is a chin right for you??

Go down 
AuthorMessage
xoxoimhis
Admin

Female Posts : 71
ChinPoints : 4747
Chinchillas Owned : 4

PostSubject: chinchilla facts. is a chin right for you??   Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:06 pm

so you want to know if a chinchilla is the right pet for you??
here are some facts you should know about these little fur balls before deciding:

• chinchillas are nocturnal and are most active during the night.

• chinchillas do not usually do well around young children. they are very fragile and bones can
    be easily broken by a young child’s handling. of course some children are very gentle and all they require
    is teaching on the caring of a chinchilla. so there are exceptions. but please be sure that young children
    are ALWAYS monitored and assisted in the handling of your chinnies.

• chinchillas can live to be up to 20 years old with proper care. you must be ready to commit to take
    care of your fur ball for the this long. too many chinnies end up in rescues or abandoned because their owner
    never took this into consideration or just never knew the facts.

• chinchillas are very sensitive to the heat since their fur is so dense and they do not have sweat glands
    like us. they cannot be kept in temperatures over 76 degrees Fahrenheit. if it gets too hot, they can overheat
    very quickly. if he does get too hot and is not cooled down immediately, he can die. it's always helpful to have
    a piece of granite [either from home depot or the official "chin chiller"] in the fridge or freezer just in case your
    ac unit goes out temporarily. it helps them cool down easily when placed in the cage. pretty much if you live
    where the temperature ever gets above 76 degrees, then you must have air conditioning when owning a chinchilla.
    also, NEVER let your chinnie use the large plastic exercise balls available at pet stores. not only does it
    bend their spine in a way it was not meant to bend, but they can overheat VERY quickly in these.

• chinchillas also need to have a dust bath approximately twice a week. they should not bathe for more
    than 10 to 15 minutes because too much can cause dry, itchy skin. and that's no good!! i have known blue cloud
    dust to be the best, as most other chin parents who swear by it. do not use any scented dust. chinchillas have
    sensitive respiratory systems and the scents used in these dusts can potentially cause problems.

• boy chinnies are prone to getting hair rings. a hair ring is when the male has fur stuck around his penis and he
    cannot get the fur off on his own. this is a very serious thing and if it is not taken care of, it can cut off his circulation
    and can lead to many severe health problems including urinary tract infections. a hair ring check should be performed
    on him at least once a month. if you are uncomfortable doing this, do not get a chinchilla. or at least not a boy.

• your fur ball's teeth should be a yellow-orange color. like most other rodents, chinchilla’s teeth also constantly
    grow and need to be filed down either by chewing on things or manually by a vet. some things to help your chinnie do
    this are wooden toys or lava blocks that they can chew on. if your chinchilla begins to drool and lose interest in eating,
    then it is possible that they have malocclusion. if this happens, your chinchilla should be seen be a vet immediately.
    this is a very serious hereditary disease and, if not treated properly, can cause a painful death. i like to check our
    chinnies teeth once a week since it can only take a month for this to happen as their teeth grow SO fast.

• chin-chins need alot of exercise, and although an exercise wheel can help, they also need daily outside-of-the-cage
    exercise. make sure you chin proof your house before doing this!! anything they see they will chew on. even carpet!!
    unplug and wrap up any cords and keep them out of reach.

• good bedding to consider is either kiln dried pine, or fleece liners. anything else i have always read to either be poisonous,
    not healthy or unsafe. so why chance it?? fleece liners are also very good to consider if your entire cage has either all mesh
    or barred flooring. wooden pine ledges are always encouraged because not only do they feel better on their feet from the
    bars, they also provide jumping-exercise and something to chew on.

• some good known pellets for chins are brands such as oxbow, mazuri, tradition, and purina rabbit chow show. [please note
    that not all rabbit pellets are safe!!] the junk pet stores sell you must avoid!! i am talking about the food with seeds and
    snacks and unnecessary items in it. it can do sever damage to a chin's digestive system and can lessen their lifespan.

• chinchillas should not be given tap water. the water should be be filtered or purified by reverse osmosis or ozonation. chinnies
    are susceptible to certain things in tap water. for example, giardia can be caused by giving your chinchilla tap water. giardia
    causes severe diarrhea and it must be treated by a vet. water should also be fresh and changed daily. not doing this can
    cause algae to build up in the water and this will make your chinchilla ill.

• i have read these types of woods to be safe. please correct me if i am wrong!! apple, hazelnut, pine (kiln dried & untreated),
    pear, manzanita, ash, willow, poplar, magnolia, larch, dogwood, elm, aspen, beech, mulberry, arbutus, cottonwood, crabapple,
    and hawthorn. also make sure nothing you give your chin has been treated with chemicals or pesticides!!

wow!! lots of information to consider before buying the little fur ball!! but nobody said it would be easy. chinchillas are not
JUST pets. they require heck of a lot more work than you would think!! so please deeply consider everything!!

anything i missed please feel free to post it!!

............................................................... ❤️ ...............................................................

jessicahodges
http://jessicahodges.scentsy.us
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jessicahodges.scentsy.us
lin_n_chins

Female Posts : 62
ChinPoints : 2739
Chinchillas Owned : 3

PostSubject: Re: chinchilla facts. is a chin right for you??   Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:11 am

I must say, that I knew nothing about the "death ball" (big plastic ball) being bad until a week or so ago when I read on a different forum what you are talking about---that they can overheat very quickly. Well, I put my chin Ringo in one of those things a few times a week as his form of out-of-cage exercise for like 4 years..... I am so so glad that nothing bad happened to him (other than him escaping MANY times LOL...my mom and I would be on the couch and we'd suddenly see this grey blob come darting across the floor LOL scary times)....... I did not even think about the fact that 1) plastic is very bad, can cause impaction... 2) very little ventilation in those balls and can become hot in there fast 3) the fact that they pee in the ball raises the humidity even more in there!! I HATE that pet stores everywhere are selling death and injury traps for chinchillas such as plastic items, houses with staples or screws in them, treats and food with junk junk and more junk that they dont need.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xoxoimhis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: chinchilla facts. is a chin right for you??   Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:17 am

i totally agree!! had i not done my research before, i would have probably gotten ALL the wrong food and toys. like
you already know, we recently had to remove anything plastic in the cage. there's just so much to learn and unfortunately,
pet stores make things alot worse!! especially by putting photos of chinchillas on dangerous types of bedding!! grrr!!

............................................................... ❤️ ...............................................................

jessicahodges
Back to top Go down
lin_n_chins

PostSubject: Re: chinchilla facts. is a chin right for you??   Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:26 am

uh oh, what kind of bedding is bad? i use carefresh in Ringo's cage Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xoxoimhis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: chinchilla facts. is a chin right for you??   Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:33 am

well i hear mix reviews on carefresh. i hear that if they eat it, it expands in their tummy.
but i also hear "no it's completely safe" so i'm really not too sure. the only kind i hear is for
sure 100% ok is kiln dried pine. but again, i'm still learning lol.

jessicahodges
Back to top Go down
Kassilik

Female Posts : 10
ChinPoints : 2652
Chinchillas Owned : 1

PostSubject: Re: chinchilla facts. is a chin right for you??   Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:25 pm

I had my chin Chester on Carefresh for awhile until I could get fleece. He was fine, though I would not use it if your chin nibbles on it at all, because that could cause problems.

Kiln-dried pine shavings or fleece liners is definitely a better choice, but you might be able to use Carefresh if you're absolutely sure your chin isn't nibbling on it.

Last edited by Kassilik on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allyson17white

Female Posts : 43
ChinPoints : 2710
Chinchillas Owned : 9

PostSubject: beding   Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:30 pm

the only time I put shavings in my chinchillas cage is when they have babies. Because the babies will climb up the cage and fall sometimes and if there were not shavings there they would get hurt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.chinchillaplanet.webs.com
lin_n_chins

PostSubject: Re: chinchilla facts. is a chin right for you??   Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:55 pm

he nibbles :pale:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allyson17white

PostSubject: chinchilla   Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:57 pm

I herd that if a chinchilla nibbles you it is a sine of respecte you just need to tell him if its to hard! LOL
Back to top Go down
Kassilik

PostSubject: Re: chinchilla facts. is a chin right for you??   Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:04 pm

Oh. :/

Is there any way you could switch over to shavings? Either kiln-dried pine or aspen would be fine.
You could also use fleece liners, which you could order online from Chinchilla websites, or you could just buy some fleece and sew it/fold it to the right size.

If you can't change it right away, your chin should be fine for now, just be careful and try to keep him from eating it, and watch him to make sure he's pooping fine. You'll know the Carefresh caused a blockage if he stops pooping.

When Chester was on Carefresh he ate a little bit of it and he was fine, you just have to be careful and change to a different bedding as soon as possible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lin_n_chins

PostSubject: Re: chinchilla facts. is a chin right for you??   Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:08 pm

lol Allyson I didn't mean he nibbles MEEEE (although he does....sometimes biting me very hard)...

and Kassilik-- I've had him on carefresh for 5.5 years D: i hope he's okay... he seems to poop fine... i will switch to fleece liners asap though o.o
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allyson17white

PostSubject: yes   Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:08 pm

yes I am they have been fine! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kassilik

PostSubject: Re: chinchilla facts. is a chin right for you??   Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:26 pm

As long as he's pooping fine he's alright Smile I don't think Carefresh causes blockages that often, and Chins usually don't swallow it, it's just better safe than sorry really, because at some point he might accidentally swallow some and that could be bad.

But as long as you switch as soon as you possibly can, everything should be perfectly fine Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: chinchilla facts. is a chin right for you??   

Back to top Go down

chinchilla facts. is a chin right for you??
Page 1 of 1